Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The girl on seat no. 69

2nd April 05 AM, outside Bengaluru Railway Station

It was early morning and the first rays of sun were yet to lighten the city. I got out from my office cab, looked at my watch and realised that I had arrived an hour early to the station. I looked around to see if there is any scope of "bird watching". By the way, I rank Bangalore Majestic as the fourth best place for bird watching in the city, next only to Koramangala which lies at third. The second place belongs to Malleshwaram and the evergreen locality has always been Basavanagudi for me, nowhere else in the city I have seen such beauty.

And I was not disappointed at all, inspite of being there at odd hours. Just then, my eyes caught a girl who was getting down from an auto. It was not totally dark, thanks to the artificial lighting, and I managed to get more than a glimpse of her somehow. She was wearing a maroon coloured top, almost sleeveless and a light blue jeans to go along with it. She was quite thin, surely slimmer than me, looked to be around 23 to 26 years of age, was probably five inches shorter than me, had a hand bag which left hanging on her left shoulder. She probably had two feet long hair which ran down till her lower back, that she had left untied. A black framed spectacle, like one of those that Preity Zinta used in Kal ho na ho, made her look smart. Overall, a very beautiful female. She kept arguing with the auto driver on the auto fare and was surely unhappy. Have I seen her somewhere? Asked one part of my find. You always think so when you see a beautiful girl don't you? Replied the other part. I carried on and boarded the train, thinking that was not a bad thing to see first up in the morning.

Same day, 06:05 AM, inside Janashatabdi train

I was just back from a night shift; so my eyes gave the sensation of being burnt due to lack of sleep; my stomach groaned due to lack of food; my body ached due to lack of rest. I was already sitting where I had to: compartment D2, seat 70, which was a midddle seat out of the three seater. The aisle and the window seats next to me were vacant. I had just closed my eyes and was trying to get some sleep when my ears heeded to a sweet, polite voice saying "excuse me". I opened my eyes and saw something which looked familiar. Maroon top, blue jeans,black hand bag (I could now notice the colour of the bag, as there were more lights and it was closer). Oh my god. Am I dreaming??? I hung open my mouth for a few seconds. She looked more beautiful now in the natural light that had just begun to wake up the city (contrastingly, the passengers in the train were trying the opposite).

"Its my seat over there" she said pointing to the window seat next to me.
"Go on" I replied giving her some space to get to her seat. My heart started pumping loudly. Never before, had such a beautiful girl sat next to me. In my college days, me and my friends used to say a girl's name and award points based on her looks on a scale of ten. This girl surely was a 10 pointer.

"So how's it going Anil?" asked the female.
What the $&*%??? Beta... mann mein laddu phoota?
Not only she talked to me but she also knows my name. Where on earth have we met each other?
I gave a startled look to her for a couple of seconds. Then, my mind travelled back in time. Three years ago, this little girl who was fresh out from college then, had joined the same organisation where I was working. She sat a couple of bays away from me. Although I had not failed to notice her, we hardly spoke to each other. But there was an occasion where I had danced next to her for almost 7 seconds, and our hands touched for almost 0.5 seconds. You see, I am awful when it comes to interacting with girls. Yes.. its the same girl.

"Am doing great. How are you?" I asked. She said she was fine.
"You were working in Delhi. How come you are in Bangalore? And where are you going now?" I questioned her existence in the city and in that train.
"Ah. I changed my job and have come to your city now. Am going to Arsikere to attend a marriage, and its my best friend at office who is tieing the knot".
I smiled.

Now, my mind had come up with a question to which I had to find an answer soon. What's her name? What's her name? And her name's not Sheela.

I again traveled two-three years back trying to find a clue that would lead me in knowing her name. I tried to "do a search" if she had sent any emails, tried to recall the nameplate on her cubicle, or what her colleagues shouted to call her. She was not in my friend's list in facebook for sure. And noway I was going to say "sorry I don't remember your name, can you please tell me that".That would be humiliating.

Dejected, I turned to her to talk something. And I couldn't utter a word. She had now taken off her spectacle and was looking at the green fields which kept passing as the train raced away. The more I saw her, the more beautiful she looked. The speedy winds made her hairs fly in the air which kept touching me cheeks and forehead, it made hold my breath for a while. I need to recall her name.

All of a sudden, like a lightning on a cloudy day, a plan stuck my mind. I still couldn't recall her name but I had figured out a method to know that. But it couldn't be accomplished just then. I had to wait till the train stopped. The next station was Tumkur and it was still 20 mins away.

"I heard you changed your job." She initiated the conversation again. All of this morning, it was she who initiated every conversation.
"Yes. And how exactly did you hear that?" I cross-questioned.
She giggled. Boy.. she kept looking more and more beautiful.
"I read your blog. You mentioned it in your recent post."
"Am glad someone reads my blog apart from me." Came a witty answer from me.
She giggled again. This time it was more of a laugh.

"I really like your blog. I read it whenever am bored. I particularly liked your encounter with the monkey. You know what.. blah blah and more blahs" She kept talking and I kept looking at her. Its good when beautiful girls talk, as it gives a chance to keep looking at them. Her blue eyes could make anyone go crazy about her. I wanted to ask if she had a boyfriend. If not can I be one?

"Yeah thanks and keep reading it." I giggled this time.
I looked outside the window. Tumkur should be few minutes away now. I tried to recall for one last time what her name could be, before implementing the plan, but in vain.

Alright.. here comes Tumkur, I said to myself as the train began to slow down and I saw lot more houses and shops which had just started opening up for business. The train reached the station and was now hardly moving at a few kilometres per hour speed.
"I will be back soon" I said and stood up to leave.
"Sure" she said looking at me. I don't blame her if she thought I was heading towards the loo.

But I knew where I was heading. This was were I could find out what her name was. I never had dreamt that Indian Railways would come to my rescue in this way. Yes, Indian Railways would answer the question and reveal the girl's name.

One had to book tickets to get into the Janashatabdi. Booking tickets means the reservation chart would be put outside the compartment. The girl sat next to me which is seat no. 69. All I had to do was to look for the name displayed in front of the number 69 in the reservation chart. That's it; job done. What an idea sirji!

I felt proud about myself as I walked between the seats to get out of the compartment. Its not simply that people tell me that am talented, its not a joke when I think am intelligent, its not a fluke that I am recruited by the world's #1 storage company. You are simply the best mate.

The train finally stopped, I got down praying that the reservation chart existed. Yes it did; great. Then I began scanning for the number 69. Down I went to page 3 of the chart and finally found 69 and her name is......

What the hell? This can't be true. The chart said Ramdev Basappa. She does not even remotely resemble to that name. Her name being Ramdev Basappa means Himesh winning a Nobel prize for Chemistry. I looked up and down, further down, far up again, searching for anything that looks like a female's name. And all I could find was Shanti Dharmendra, Seethalakshmi and Devamma. She is not any of those. Like a batsman out for a duck I returned back to my seat.

To be continued.. if you care

11 comments:

Suresh S Murthy said...

Lol!! Awesome read buddy.. Keep it coming..

Harika V said...

Anil.....enough is enough. U will make your readers go crazy every time. Man dont disappoint us by your last line.
Anyway your blog is damn good
By the by who is that girl ;-)

Anil said...

@ Suri: Thanks mate.
@ Harika: Thanks again and everything will be revealed in the second part.

vish said...

Super Cool Dude!!!

Anil said...

@ Vishal: Finally, you make up your mind to comment :-P. Thanks mate.

Anu said...

Anil, what ll happenm if that girl reads ur blog...?....

Unknown said...

soooper doooper doood...
inshallah she reads this blog!!!

Anil said...

I don't know. Will have to wait for her response.

Anu said...

Anil, wish u all the best for her response... :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Dude!! (mangesh)

Harisha - ಹರೀಶ said...

ಯಾವಾಗೋ ಮುಂದಿನ ಭಾಗ?